One of my favorite things to do when exploring a new city (or moving to one) is exploring the local farmers markets. Lucky for me, Washington has a ton of farms, which means a ton of seasonal produce and zero shortage of farmers markets here.
I love that each market depending on the size, location, farms and vendors each has its own vibe, but there are definitely the key players that always come through. To me, one of these is the grilled corn stand. So simple but so genius – the smell of the roasty husks and the sweet flavor that gets unlocked by the grill is simply irresistible. Top it with some butter, salt, pepper, and chili powder, and thats pure handheld happiness right there.
There’s only one thing that detracts from my state of bliss: I love me some grilled corn, but not enough to want it stuck in my teeth the entire rest of the day.
So I find myself stuck between a cob and a hard place.
…..and this simple salad.
Summer Corn Salad
Prep Time: 10 mins, Cook Time: 30 mins, Total Time: 40 mins
Makes: approx. 2 cups of salad
- 1 ear of fresh corn
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- big handful of arugala
- juice of 1 lime
- juice of 1 lime
- drizzle of olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Pull the husk off the corn. (Note: you can either roast in tin foil with a pat of butter for more tender corn, or roast “naked” for a chewier and charred corn.)
- Place the corn directly on the oven rack. Roast until tender, rotating every 10 or so minutes.
- Allow the corn to cool (trust me on that one). Place it vertically on its butt and shave downward with a knife to remove the kernels.
- In a large bowl, add the kernels plus remaining veggies, squeeze of lime juice, drizzle of olive oil, and seasonings to taste.
- Toss to combine.
- Enjoy. (no floss required)