Though I will never get tired of a good old fashioned PBJ, I will admit to an infatuation with its close relative, the PBHB. (peanut butter-honey-banana). If you’re looking for a remedy to many of life’s ailments, try chunky pb topped with sliced banana, a drizzle of honey, and a pinch of cinnamon. If that doesn’t work, make the chunky pb from scratch at home (recipe to come).
These blondies were inspired by my obsession with all things peanut butter-banana. They were also dually inspired by my fellow clinical dietetic intern buddy with Type I diabetes, who inspired me to make a sweet flourless treat. Being an overachiever, I threw in some protein and fiber while I was at it. How, you ask?
Chickpeas. Meet PBHB.
I was going to add chocolate chips…but then I realized I had a half leftover bag of these babies.
So then this happened:
And T-20minutes later….
Chickpea-nut Butter Banana Blondies
Prep Time: 10mins Cook Time: 20 mins Total Time: 30 mins
Makes: 16 squares
- 1 can (1 1/2 cups) chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 1/3 c peanut butter
- 1/4 c honey
- 1/2 c smashed ripe bananas (~1-2 bananas)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 c chocolate chips or chunks (or Bark Thins!)
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350, and line a 9×9″ pan with parchment paper.
- Throw all the ingredients except the chocolate into a food processor. Blend until creamy (you don’t want chunks of chickpeas in your blondies).
- Fold in the chocolate chips/chunks.
- Pour batter into the pan and smooth with a spatula.
- Optional: sprinkle a few extra chocolate chunks on top.
- Bake for about 20 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- They’ll be super gooey, so let them set before cutting into squares (assuming you don’t just dig in with a spoon, which is cool too.)